Scouting Merit Badge
California Land Surveyors Association (CLSA) has a standing committee charged with promoting and facilitating participation in the Boy Scout's Surveying Merit Badge program.
The committee's current goal is to assist in making qualified surveyors available for scheduling wherever participating scouts, an appropriate place, and a schedule may be coordinated. Toward this goal the committee chair seeks to:
- Continue providing Surveying Merit Badge classes at the College of the Canyons.
- Encourage other CLSA members to participate in this program.
- Maintain a data base of Chapter Chairs and contact information for surveyors willing to participate in this program.
- Monitor, encourage and assist the submission of required forms to get other surveyors qualified as Merit Badge Counselors, maintain a data base of the status of submitted forms and notify when annual renewals are required.
- Begin contacting leadership in the Girl Scouts, with a goal to expand this program.
- Update the current Scouting Merit Badge Guide.
Of the 130+ merit badges currently offered, the Surveying Merit Badge shares with only 26 others the distinction of being among those originally offered in the 1911 Scouting Handbook.
The Surveying Merit Badge is a perfect vehicle for exposing young people, future citizens and leaders, men and women, to what we know as the best kept career secret. Please contact me by email with your ideas, suggestions or questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Stephen Hughey, PLS, Chairman
Jim Dickey's 2008 Handbook and helps: